Friday, March 5, 2010

Revoking My GIRL Card

I'm not sure what is wrong with me - but some of the easiest girl things are just beyond me.

For example - I love the look of painted nails. LOVE. Them.

So painting your nails is like - what - a 3 hour process? You have the base, the polish, the 2nd coat polish, the top coat. And allow for time for the impossible painting of the right hand. And allow time for drying - because there is nothing that thrills me more than doing all that work to see that I went to bed too soon and have wrinkled / smudged polish before I've even left the house.

But with all of those steps. With all of that time. It would totally be worth it - if it would just LAST. Like for more than 1 day would be nice. One week would be an absolute dream!

Let me clarify. I have used a variety of products - speed dry, super strength, variety of costs for polish, smoothing base coats, vitamin fortified...it doesn't seem to matter. Additionally, the closest my hands come to "hard labor" or machinery on a daily basis is my pants zipper. Seriously.

Yet time and time again- I have a lovely paint job, waste hours of my life, and can't make it through one stinking day without a chip. It truly amazes / bewilders me when I see ladies with good polish jobs. Much less to see them multiple days in a row - with it lasting. My grandmother almost always had painted nails - and she gardened, she constantly was doing dishes by hand, she was always working on something - and she kept her nails painted.

Is there a secret to this? Are all of these paint jobs on fake nails? (which I have so far avoided for a few reasons - cost, fear of fungus / infection, and lack of time to commit on a weekly basis) Is it better to just skip the multi-steps and go straight for polish? At least then if it chips in a day I've only wasted 30ish minutes.

What is a girl to do?

Seriously in danger of never having adorable nails again...
Regina

7 comments:

Janet said...

I did acrylic nails for a long time, and yes, they stay nice for 10 days or so, but I hated the commitment and expense, and I felt that seriously, if these nail techs have to wear masks to do this, how can this be good for ME to have attached to my body??

My best solution has been OPI natural nail base coat, two coats of whatever polish, then OPI top coat. It dries pretty quickly, and lasts longer than anything else I've found. But really, to keep it up for a week, I add a coat of top coat and might have to touch up a few chips each night.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I have the same problem. Polish will stay on my toes forever, but not on my fingernails. I have yet to find a product that works, which is too bad because I love the look of painted nails.

akawest said...

The only nail polish that works for me is OPI. Like Janet, I did acrylics, and then finally I decided it was insane. I miss having gorgeous nails, but with OPI polish, and any brand of topcoat (too lazy for a base coat), I can usually get about five days worth of unchipped loveliness.

My weird issue is sheets imprints in my nails. With all other nail polish brands, no matter what time I polish my nails, I wake up the next day with an imprint of my sheets. I sleep with my hands under me, so I guess my weight presses my nails into the sheets...odd, but true.

Michelle said...

Two things:

Yes, those are fake nails you're seeing

And the rest of them are putting their hands in gloves EVERY time they do anything.

I'm with you on the issues. My only thing I can do to help keep polish on at all is a) stay out of ANY water (including the shower) for 24 hours and b) adding a new top coat daily - a lesson I learned from Dolly Parton on the radio when I was a teen (or so my memory goes, who knows if that's really where I heard it).

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic said...

I can never get it to last either! I feel like I'm just one of those girls who didn't get the beauty skills. Sure, I'm okay looking, but I don't know how to do hair, makeup, nails, or anything like some women can do. What is it with me?

Kylez..aka...Mrs.P! said...

I feel your pain, the same thing happens to me. The only time I've managed to keep nails nice for more than a day is when I've had acrylics done, but as someone else said, the expense and time is pretty big, you have to be prepared to maintain them and it gets old real quick! But even when I had acrylics I still managed to bump or smudge at least one when leaving the shop!

Gina said...

I used to get acrylics done too. I loved the way they looked (I wasn't so nature-girl back then) but I hated the feeling getting them done, not to mention the time and cost. Other than that, I've never been able to get my polish to stay more than 24 hours. If you find the magic solution, let me know!