Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Banana Bread


I love this banana bread. It's so quick and easy to whip up. A slice is very filling!
I have used bananas that were so past ripe that you would never eat them and you can never tell. Also, I'm not sure how I got this far in life without knowing that you can freeze bananas (after peeling) if they are going to go bad before you can use them. Such an eye-opening discovery for me! Since learning this trick, I have not had one banana go past it's prime in my house! I freeze 3 in a bag so that they will be ready for this recipe. Just defrost in fridge overnight and then use - it won't look pretty, but I assure you the taste is the same.


Here's the recipe with my notes.
Ingredients
3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed (I find that 3 creates the right amount of moisture)
1/3 cup melted butter (This equals 5 1/3 tbs - I replace 2 1/3 tbs with applesauce)
1 cup sugar (I always reduce to 3/4 cup you won't miss it)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt (I have forgotten this with no adverse effects)
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (I have replaced 2 TBS of this with wheat germ)

Method
No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

If I could catch up with how quickly we eat these - I would like to get several in the freezer for summer months when I don't want to be baking.

This recipe has been linked to:
Tuesday at the Table
Tasty Tuesdays

1 comment:

Janet said...

Mmmmmmm...I haven't made banana bread in forever. And I may even have some in the freezer. When I freeze mine I mash them and put in just a tad of lemon juice. This keeps them from turning so brown.